Thursday, May 9, 2013

FRIENDS... How many of us have them???

This week your Chatting Drunk Hosts discuss FRIENDS!!! What we thought about during reflections this week were the following questions... 
1.What is your definition of Friendship and do you think that changes over the years?
2.If you met your friends today do you think you would still be friends? 
3.Do you think people of the opposite sex can be just friends?

These questions definitely required some deep reflection on our parts. Tune in to our live show, or listen to our archived shows on Blogtalkradio.com. 

You can also check us out on facebook.com/chatting.chatting.9, follow us on twitter @chattingdrunk, or follow our shows on Blogtalkradio.com/chattingdrunk where we will be adding our shows to itunes. Cheers!!!




Michele

Friendship
The emotions or conduct of friends; the state of being friends.

Synonyms


fellowship - companionship - comradeship

So I looked up the definition of friendship because I had no idea where to begin on this topic...I do agree with this I think fellowship is required to maintain a relationship with your friends. Some friendships require more than others. I have friends that I do not see all of the time and we can pick up right where we left off. I also have others where if we go a few weeks without speaking it's a little awkward at first and we aren't quite in sync but after a while it's like time never lapsed. I think it is important to check in with your friends to maintain communication and keep the lines open. I hate texting probably because my phone hates me and loves to auto correct me all of the time or I fat finger things...Leilani will tell you my phone is a FOB! I do love to g chat daily with my close friends. Anyway I think friendship is being there for each other in times of need but as we get older it does change because our lives change and friendship although important other things are equally as important, our jobs, our loved ones, and "me" time to stay sane! I think it's hard to realize that even though your friends may not always be there for you it doesn't mean they don't love you or are bad friends. All of your friends bring something to enrich your life and they all have different strengths use that to your advantage and learn from them!

If I met all of my friends today I probably would not be friends with them and I would probably miss out on great friendships. One thing that I would change though was to make sure I kept the communication open with old friends I have lost while growing up.

I don't know if men and women can be just friends. I feel like at one point in time one may think about crossing the line...do they act on it if they want to remain friends, NO! I think it can work is if one or both are married and they know the significant others. Although some people like sneaking around and in that case they could still cross the line and that's just a mess! I think with respect for one another they can be JUST friends. Also if they are not attracted to eachother they can be friends but I think getting to know someone better and becoming friends is also a can of worms and they could still become attracted to them. For example I had a really close guy friend in Jr. High he really liked me and asked me out a few times but I didn't feel the same way until I really got to know him over time.


Leilani

There are several categories of friends that I think everyone has. 1. You have your closest friends, who you can trust with anything and are as close to you, or even closer than your own family members. 2. Then you have good friends, who you continue to build a friendship with and spend a lot of time around. 3. There are also acquaintances, who you talk with once in awhile, you share a good laugh, you like being in each others company, but for one reason or another you haven't built a super close friendship just yet. 4. And finally there are the frenemies, yes frenemies! These are the people that you see around, you're cordial, and know of one another. You may make small talk, but you both have a clear idea that you don't like one another. Everyone has a frenemy, and if you think you don't, then I guarantee someone considers you one. lol!

Friendship definitely changes over the years. As you change, so does the company you keep. Friends can fall into any of the four categories above at any particular time in your life. I believe that at a certain point everyone will begin to understand who their REAL friends are, and who aren't.

I can honestly say that some of the friends that I have today, would probably not be my friends if I met them today. lol! It's not a bad thing. I realized that there are a lot of things that people deal with because they were your friends and vice versa. By this I mean that we tend to forgive and accept the faults of the people closest to us. We are usually more forgiving and understanding with people that we already have built friendships with, than with someone that you meet today. This is a good thing. You have built a tolerance for someone you love. You might not agree on everything, you might not like each other all the time, you might not even want to be around that person at times, but they are still your friends.

My example:I absolutely adore my best friends. We have the type of friendship where we can go weeks, months, even years without seeing one another, and when we meet again, it's like we were never apart. We have been through so much, and are so different, and accept each other's choices even if we think they're dumb.And we get a lot of laughs at the expense of one another! LOL! Our loyalty was built over years of experience, and if we had met today, we probably wouldn't be as close. It's our past that binds us.

I'm going to get a lot of shit for this last question. lol! YES I DO BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE OF THE OPPOSITE SEX CAN BE FRIENDS. Now I know plenty of people who disagree with me. I think it's silly to think that men and women can't share a friendship without thinking about having sex with one another, which is the argument people always give me. I actually get along really well with men, and prefer their company over women. They are less drama, more relaxed, and just plain fun. Let me clarify that my two best friends are women, and I am surrounded by women everyday in my life. But, many of these women also prefer the company of men. It's good for women to have testosterone around them, that they don't want to bone, and men to get a little estrogen energy once in awhile. Sometimes just good company is good enough and someones sex shouldn't hinder building a good friendship.

If I didn't cover any of the questions on here I'll try to on the show. Cheers!!!

Luis

My definition of friendship, real friendship, is similar to brotherhood, so it's a bond that is similar to a blood bond. Unfortunately, because friends are not actually family if they commit extreme betrayal or harm you or you family in a way that cannot be undone, that would be the limit of the relationship, but on my part no offense will be committed, as I treat my friends like brothers and sisters.

If I meet my friends later on in life, and I have the ability to start the friendship like it was a day ago, again unless they have become violent or hurtful to society everything should remain the same.

People of the opposite sex can be good friends if there is some sort of relationship that allows it like work, social events, mutual projects etc etc. Once two people have committed relationships and there exist some sort of mutual attraction between the two individuals, than maybe the friendship should keep a distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment