Thursday, May 9, 2013

Are you a GOOD SAMARITAN???

This week your Chatting Drunk hosts discuss GOOD SAMARITANS. We looked at these three questions when thinking about this weeks topic. 

1. What is your definition of a Good Samaritan?
2. Give an example of someone that you consider to be a Good Samaritan.
3. Do you consider yourself to be a Good Samaritan? And Why?

Don't forget to check out our live show at 9:00pm on Thursday, May 8, 2013. We will be taking live callers and chatting live on Blogtalk Radio, Facebook, and Twitter. Cheers!!!



Leilani

I believe that a good samaritan assists people less fortunate than themselves. (Fortunate does not equate to money, but could be bad situations, instances, etc) They do good deeds without expecting praise or anything in return. 

There are so many good samaritan's in this world. The ones that we are use to seeing tend to be celebrities or religious figures. In my personal experiences, I was blessed to run across some great samaritans who selflessly devoted themselves to charities, or random simple acts of kindness. My parents are both good samaritans, as well as many of my family members and friends. They showed me the importance of extending a helping hand through volunteer projects, or helping people that we run across just in everyday life. I would say that the good samaritans that I see are the ones closest to me, the ones who aren't famous, but they will give you the clothes off their back, push your car, or volunteer endless hours to assist a complete stranger. They don't boast about helping others, because it's something that they truly enjoy doing. 

I would like to think that I am a good samaritan through random acts of kindness. I haven't really been involved in any volunteer work in the past few years, but it is something that I really would like to get into. My random acts are just that, random. I don't really go out of my way to find others that need my help, but I try to help when I see them. Often times, I admit, I am consumed with my own everyday problems that I forget to be thankful for what I have. This is when I need to stop, reflect, and appreciate what I have, and like my mom always says PAY IT FORWARD. :) This topic has definitely made me think about what it really means to help others.


Luis

A good samaritan is anyone that, without the interest of a personal gain, acts in a helpful manner to his friends family, but most of all a complete stranger. That you can help and expect nothing in return.

Jesus was the ultimate good samaritan. Gandhi, Bob Marley, Janis Joplin, Martin Luther King, Cesar Chavez, among many many more. The problem is we tend to kill them and let demons run wild. Someone I think is a good samaritan that I actually know would be some of my friends Armani,Uriel,Ruben and my older brother is for sure a good man.

I believe at times I have been a good samaritan. I have gone to extreme measures to help people in need, however i will not talk about it or it does not count at all. Currently I need to practice it much more. My years have made me more bitter, so making my good intentions pail away.

Michele

My definition of a good Samaritan is a stranger who helps another in a time of need.

Hmm an example...I guess my example would be volunteers! I have worked for a few non-profit organizations and each one could not get everything accomplished without the help of volunteers. They are giving up their free time to assist these organizations to help others in need.

Do I think I'm a good Samaritan...not all of the time. I did work for an organization that assisted the homeless and before I worked there I was the type of person that would never give them money. I may give them food but not money. During my time at this organization I found myself giving money more freely. There was this one time there was this boy sitting outside of Target and he asked for some money he said his girlfriend was pregnant and he wanted to buy nice clothes for an upcoming interview...Had this boy not looked about the same age as one of my brothers I probably would not have given him anything but I felt sympathy for him in this situation (real or not) but if that were my brother I would hope someone would help him if he found himself in that situation. Another time I was at this same target and there was a girl in the parking lot asking for money she said she had a baby and she didn't have enough money for diapers. Once again I felt for her in this situation and if I found myself in this situation I would hope someone would help me so when she stopped me (just having left target because the lines were crazy long and I felt like I didn't really need anything I was buying) I turned around and told her I would buy her the supplies. A little on edge the whole time in there wondering is she going to jump me?! We went to the aisle and I bought her diapers and some wipes...I can't remember if I bought her anything else. As I reflect on these situations I feel like "damn I'm so gullible and I was totally scammed!" haha But at the same time every time I drive to work there are people standing on corners with signs and I almost always make sure I do not make eye contact because I feel bad, but I cannot help everyone and I feel like I'm doing my part in helping others that's the line of work I'm in!

No comments:

Post a Comment